Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Happy New Year!  

Chinese New Year is not for a few weeks 
but I thought I would share this simple math center idea.  


Did you know that noodles are traditionally eaten at the Chinese or Lunar New Year feast?  Why? Because noodles symbolize a long life.

This math center was created with that tradition in mind.  To create, I simply cut white yarn into various lengths and put them in a bowl.  Add chopsticks, measuring tools, a Math Talk card and you have an instant center in minutes! (If your kiddos have not used linker cubes as learning tools make sure you give them time to play with them first.)

Happy Teaching and Learning!

10 comments

  1. Awesome idea! We don't do measuring for awhile but I will use this when we do! Everyone loves to use chopsticks!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in time for our Chinese New Year PBL. We will have to work this into our activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I have always put a bowl of yarn noodles in my kitchen center when we study Chinese New Year but I never thought to have the kids measure the noodles. What an easy math activity!
    Keen on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Thanks for sharing at Math Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey from your newest follower!! :) Your blog is super cute, I look forward to following you!

    I just started blogging this week and would absolutely love it if you would stop by to check it out!!
    Amanda
    Learn, Laugh, Grow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You have been awarded the Versatile Blog award! Come on by to check it out.
    Dianne
    Hopelessly Devoted to Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the inspiration! I made a set of measuring noodles to share with my daughter here.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top