Math Organization

Day+3.JPG.jpg
It's Day 3 of Organization Week.  Today's topic is Math.
Here is an overview of my math program.  I must say that I do not like this format but because of our pacing schedule (5 lessons plus a test each week), this is the one that is working.
Math Routines:
We start math with Math Routines.  It may be a song, a mini-lesson or review. (10 minutes)

Teacher Led Lesson:
Early in the year, this portion is long.  As the year progresses and students have more background knowledge, this portion is less.  (15-30 minutes)
Skip Counting by 2s
Independent Work:
Usually students complete a workbook page.  I do try to incorporate some hands on learning as well.  (Henceforth, why I am always behind in my pacing!  Makes hard to discuss data results when you are still teaching the content.  The teacher in me hates to move on when students are not ready.  I like them to guide my teaching.  Not a pacing guide!) I will work with students who need extra help. (varies based on student's skill level)

Math Centers:
Here is what we currently have in our math centers.

 Currently, most of the games are to practice addition and subtraction facts.
As you can see, I purchased most of the games.  I got the Teacher's Helper set towards the end of last school year on clearance through Scholastic.  The other games were purchased at my local teacher supply store.
Some games, I put in a box; actually a planter from the Dollar Store.  The kids favorite game is Roll Mr. Potato Head which I found of this site.

Here is a glimpse into how I organize my teaching of math.  I can't wait to hear from you!  I love comments!

Happy Teaching and Learning!

1 comment

  1. Thanks for sharing how you do math! I have been trying to figure out a better schedule for us as far as how to fit everything in during math time and have decided that i'm going to try to do guided math groups. My plan is to teach half the class the lesson while the other half works in math center, then switch. This will allow me to differentiate more for students. I'll have to let you know how it works out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top