Learning Targets

Our school has been implementing Assessment for Learning and Learning Targets based on the work by Dr. Rick Stiggins for a few years. 

Prior to break, I had the opportunity to speak with families about their child's progress.  What was surprising to me this year was the fact that for many conferences both parents attended (Yeah!) and that children also attended.  This is highly atypical for our school.  But it was a great opportunity for us to "talk" about areas of strength and weakness.  With that in mind, when we returned to school, we made hats stating our goals for this year.  (Thank you, Mrs. Perry for the inspriration.) 

Redid this twice!  That's how hard this child is trying!)
(I will have nice penmanship and I will be better at reading.)

This activity helped us talk about our Learning Targets for this trimester.  I told them what we would be learning in each of the subject areas; reading, writing and language arts.  We then, talked about how we had a period of time to master this.  We also talked about how some of these items were things we already knew; skipping by 5s.  But I also stated that some things were going to be challenging for some; reading long vowel words. 
 (These were created by former students. Hope to do this soon with this class.)

I have posted on my class website for parents and students our Learning Targets for the trimester.  If you would like to view them, leave a comment and I will send you the link. How do you keep your class informed about their learning?  Do students know if they are successful or need extra support?

Happy Learning and Teaching!

5 comments

  1. I am so impressed that you already know all of the learning targets that you will be doing this trimester. This is my second year in first grade and I feel like I am not yet able to plan that far ahead! WOW! I cannot wait until I get to this point. I am on my way.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see your learning targets! I am also very impressed with everything you do in your class! Thanks for sharing.
    brantcc@bay.k12.fl.us

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see your learning targets. This is our second year doing learning targets. I love it! It keeps me very focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a copy of your learning targets. hicksta@westnoble.k12.in.us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just found your blog. Do you still do learning targets? I would love to see examples! ckaemingk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top